Faith; it doesn't get much more basic or essential than that. One cannot be a Christian apart from faith. What is faith? It is a belief in something or someone. A trusting, active, kind of belief.
Here are some definitions, thoughts and scriptures to launch us into thinking about Faith:
- The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines faith as: "belief and trust in and loyalty to God."1
- "Faith doesn't come to any of us easily or automatically, any more than a garden or orchard grows easily and without careful attention and hard work. But God's plan is for us to grow in our faith, and not be stuck in the same spiritual rut all our lives."2
- "Sometimes we feel God is near us or we feel we believe in Christ—but other times we don't feel that way. But feelings are not a reliable guide to the truth!"3
- Hebrews 11:1 1Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.4
- Ephesians 2:8-98For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast.5
1 Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary, 11th ed., s.v. "Faith."
2 Billy Graham.
4 Hebrews 11:1, NIV.
5 Ephesians 2:8-9, NIV.