Postures Of Worship
In the Bible God's people used many different postures for worship. None was "right" and others "wrong," much depended upon the circumstances and the people's hearts. Below is a partial list of some of the different postures used:
1. Prostrate or falling down. 1 Corinthians 14:24-25 24But if an unbeliever or someone who does not understand comes in while everybody is prophesying, he will be convinced by all that he is a sinner and will be judged by all, 25and the secrets of his heart will be laid bare. So he will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, "God is really among you."1
2. Bowing. Psalm 5:7 7But I, by your great mercy, will come into your house; in reverence will I bow down toward your holy temple.2
3. Clasping Jesus' feet. Matthew 28:9 9Suddenly Jesus met them. "Greetings," he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him.3
4. While Leaning on a staff. Hebrews 11:21 21By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of Joseph's sons, and worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff.4
5. Dancing. 2 Samuel 6:14-15 14David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the Lord with all his might, 15while he and the entire house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouts and the sound of trumpets.5
6. Walking and jumping. Acts 3:8 8He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God.6
7. Lifting hands. Psalm 28:2 2Hear my cry for mercy as I call to you for help, as I lift up my hands toward your Most holy Place.7
8. While holding palm branches; falling down. Revelation 7:9-12 9After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. 10And they cried out in a loud voice, "Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb." 11All the angels were standing around the throne and around the elders and the four living creatures. They fell down on their faces before the throne and worshiped God, 12saying: "Amen! Praise and glory and wisdom and thanks and honor and power and strength be to our God for ever and ever, Amen!"8
1 1 Corinthians 14:24-25, NIV.
2 Psalm 5:7, NIV.
3 Matthew 28:9, NIV.
4 Hebrews 11:21, NIV.
5 2 Samuel 6:14-15, NIV.
6 Acts 3:8, NIV.
7 Psalm 28:2, NIV.
8 Revelation 7:9-12, NIV.