How can you be involved in missions? Basically there are four ways: praying, giving, going, or mobilizing.
"The evangelization of the world depends first upon a revival of prayer. Deeper than the need for workers; deeper, far, than the need for money; deep down at the bottom of our spiritual lives, is the need for the forgotten secret of prevailing, world-wide prayer. Missions has progressed slowly abroad because piety and prayer have been shallow at home." Robert E Speer (1871-1937)1
There are many great resources on prayer for the nations, here are a few:
- Operation World: When We Pray God Works by Patrick Johnstone and Jason Mandryk (A prayer guide for the world)2
- A great web site with lots of prayer information and resources: http://www.imb.org/main/pray/default.asp
- Another great web site full of missions facts and information: http://www.joshuaproject.net/
Today in our denomination, and ours is one of the most mission-minded ones out there, only 4 percent of the contributions given go to international missions work. Pray about giving regularly to missions.
Isaiah 6:8 8Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send: And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"3 Today most of the trained Christian workers minister among people groups already considered reached for Christ. So by just doing the math every Christian should at some point be confronted with the question, "should I go?"
Preparation for going:
- Establish an ongoing relationship with Jesus by spending time in the Bible, praying, and being involved in a Christian fellowship.
- Get equipped. Get formal training through a Bible School, Seminary or online classes. Find a mentor who can disciple you and help you deepen your walk with the Lord.
- Go on a short-term mission trip to see if missions might be for you.
Mobilizers are those who raise up people to go into missions and support the missions effort. Most churches have mission committees that you could join and help your church get involved in missions. Teach a class on missions. Lead a short-term mission trip yourself.
1 Paul Hattaway, China's Unreached Cities: Volume 1: A Prayer Guide For 52 Of China's Least Evangelized Cities (Thailand: Asia Harvest, 1999), iii.
2 Patrick Johnstone and Jason Mandryk, Operation World: When We Pray God Works, 6th Ed. (Waynesboro, GA: Paternoster Lifestyle, 2001)
3 Isaiah 6:8, NIV.