Noise is all around us and increasing as time passes. It is distracting, affects our mental health, and makes it hard to hear God. What about you?
- What kind of noise do you have in your life?
- Do you ever surround yourself with noise intentionally? Why?
- Does all the noise in your life make it harder to hear God?
- When was a time that you heard God clearly?
- Does silence make you uncomfortable? If so, why?
- What could you do to eliminate some of the noise in your life that keeps you from hearing God?
Silence & Solitude
- Identify a sacred space.
- Begin with a modest goal.
- Settle into a comfortable yet alert position in your body.
- Ask God to give you a simple prayer that expresses your openness and desire for God.
- Close your time in silence with a prayer of gratitude of God’s presence with you.
- Resist the urge to judge yourself or your experiences in silence.
1 Ruth Barton, “Beyond Words: An Invitation To Silence And Solitude,” Conversations: A Forum For Authentic Transformation, vol. 5:2 (2007): 11.